Thursday, March 5, 2015

Simplify: A Guide to Caring for the Soul

Simplify is a self help book in the classic "lean on God" genre, providing readers with 8 key lessons based on each letter of the word SIMPLIFY.  The method is overused, but effective, perhaps that is why it is overused.

As with most self-help books, I started this one and got through about 3 chapters before I gave up.  I always mean to try their suggestions, but ironically I never find the time.  The author, Carolyn J. Rasmus actually encourages the reader to take a chapter at a time and work on it for awhile.  Definitely not my strategy, hence the overwhelming feeling the book produced.

I finally returned to the book after I suggested it to a book club that I'm hosting tomorrow night, and I had to sit down to read it this time.  Not really wanting to like this gimmicky book, the author had a hard sell.  She succeeded.  The section of each chapter called "Getting Started" saved the book.  Because specific steps were presented, the book goes beyond the "Sunday School" answers. 

An LDS read, this book is great for those people feeling overwhelmed by the pace of 21st Century life.  The power lies in the focus on priorities, but most importantly, on feeding the soul so you can stay focused on the important things in life.

Originally published 9/27/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment