Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking

    I first came across the word hygge in an article about how some words just don't translate clearly.  Later, I discovered this little book, subtitled Danish Secrets to Happy Living and since then hygge seems to have exploded across the internet and the world.
     Like Winnie-the-Pooh's comment about love, "You don't spell it, you feel it", Wiking spends 200 plus pages exploring the Danish idea of hygge.  The important role of light and candles, friends and family, cozy throws and pillows are all discussed.  I started shopping for organic candles on Amazon after the chapter that highlighted the importance of candles to hygge.
    Ultimately, Wiking, CEO of the Happiness Research Institute finds that this concept, atmosphere, bonding and coziness rolled together in hygge bring an element of happiness to the everyday.  He concludes with, "Let's face it, this is where (the everyday) most of our lives will play out....hygge is about making the most of what we have in abundance: the everyday."
    I'm still processing hygge.  I think it will show up in the conglomerate that I am: in my home, my relationships and my goals.  I hope I can capture the feeling of happiness and contentment that Wiking unfolds in his little book.  And so, I liked this book, mostly because it gave me pause to reflect on my life, but also because it gives me an excellent excuse to shop for candles and throw pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment