Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Crimes and Punishments of Miss Payne by Barry Jonsberg

Calma and Kiffo are convinced that Miss Payne is evil incarnate.  You see, their English class has successfully driven off two teachers: one to early retirement and one, most likely, to an institution for the mentally unstable.  But, Miss Payne is in control from the moment she takes Kiffo down in front of the class.  Kiffo is convinced that Miss Payne is involved with something illegal, and while he and Calma are stalking her, they discover her exchanging some white powder with a suspicious looking man in the wee hours of the morning.  Now, Miss Payne must be stopped.

Admittedly, I do not like books where the narrator longs to be a writer.  I also do not like books that make heroes out of victims just because they have a tough life.  In spite of that, I did like this book, in fact, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  The characters were quirky, yet believable.  I laughed out loud at many of the predicaments Calma and Kiffo put themselves in, and Calma's analysis of various situations were hilarious.  Most importantly, I loved the ending.  It startled me.  It was unexpected, yet true to the novel's tone and voice.

The Crimes and Punishments of Miss Payne is a mix of the mystery and teen issues genres.  There is some strong language and the audience is definitely older teens and adults.  Also, it's set in Australia, and while I didn't struggle with the slang or unusual vocabulary, others might.  Overall, I enjoyed this spunky, crazy story that in the end touches at the true meaning of friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment